Monday 26 January 2009

2 new songs and a contemplation

2 new songs in the bag, and an idea.....
Release a double CD, semi concept album as my debut release....

holy "against all logic" Batman!!!

Well in this new digital era and the fact that I don't have some 'suit' making my decisions for me as I'm doing this all myself, I feel i can pretty much break every rule in the book and do what the hell I like!

Some may find the idea insane, brash, naive, idiotic. i find the idea, bold, brave, challenging, free, ideological, basically fucking awesome.

the beauty is, its my CHOICE whether i do it or not.

The new tracks are called "I'll Be Fine" and "Tonight".

"I'll be fine" is about something I'd forgotten I'd experienced many years ago until it was done to me last week.
Its about that point after a break up when one person suddenly feels immensely 'high' and positive that they are now free of the old relationship, its almost like a coping mechanism or a sub-conscious brain function where you just don't care anymore, "I'm over you", "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine", "I'm happy without you" etc etc. having it done to me last week triggered off my memories of doing it myself back when i was 18/19, It was such a shock to see happening again in front of me after so many years that I immediately put pen to paper, the lyrics again a another diary entry, done in one sitting. The guitar chords came at the same time pretty much from nowhere.

I played it Saturday night at a friends house out of the blue after I'd played a load of covers not really thinking about it. At the end everyone was commenting how great it was but they couldn't put their finger on who it was. I then pointed out that it was me and that I'd wrote it 2 days earlier. I was met with laughter at first, then when they saw i wasn't joking, i was met with stunned silence followed by some really nice compliments, which was really really nice as it was totally off the cuff and unexpected (both the compliments and me playing it).

"Tonight" is about that first encounter, the ones that are unexpected, that come out of the blue and knock you for six with their intensity. Most of us have had them, many of us have had more than one. This is about that encounter, that 'Tonight'.

No comments: